After the first week of NFL preseason games, how did the top 20 draft picks perform for their teams?
1. Andrew Luck: This QB looked like he was a seasoned veteran and a darn good one too. Luck went 10 of 16 for 188 yards and 2 TDs. He appears very worthy of the top pick so far.
2. Reggie Griffin III: RGIII went 4 of 6 for 70 yards and 1 TD. Looked comfortable and confident. It was a brief outing that wasn’t spectacular but his level of talent is pretty obvious.
3. Trent Richardson: Did not play in the Browns first game because of trouble with a knee that he had surgery on in the spring. He is expected back soon.
4. Matt Kalil: Vikings appear to be happy with their big OT Matt. In the game against the 49ers, he was beaten by Aldon Smith early in the game.
5. Justin Blackmon: Missed the first game due to a 12 day contract holdout. He is expected to play Friday against the Saints.
6. Morris Claiborne: The Cowboys top pick has missed some practice time with a sore knee. He is back now and could play Monday in their first preseason game with the Raiders however it is doubtful that he will see any action to be on the safe side.
7. Mark Barron: Did not play in the first game because of a foot injury. He is expected to return very soon.
8. Ryan Tannehill: Ryan went 14 of 21 for 167 yards and a TD. He is in a battle with Moore and Garrard (out with knee surgery) for the starting spot. Ryan’s nice performance along with Moore throwing an INT, should put him right at the top. I think Ryan has an excellent chance to become the Dolphins starting QB this season.
9. Luke Kuechly: Luke had 2 solo tackles, 2 assist, and he caused a fumble. The tackling machine picked up where he left off at Boston College. I think the Panthers are going to like this pick.
10. Stephon Gilmore: Not much to report from his game with the Redskins but all indications are that the Bills are very pleased with his progress in camp.
11. Dontari Poe: Indications from the Chefs are that Poe is going to be a bit of a project to get ready to play in the NFL. I sense a little disappointment in the pick so far.
12. Fletcher Cox: Cox had one assisted tackle in his first game.
13. Michael Floyd: Floyd had one catch for three yards in his first game.
14. Michael Brockers: Brockers had one tackle and one assist in his first game.
15. Bruce Irvin: “Very quiet” would be the way to describe Irvin’s first game. No tackles and no sacks make you wonder if he was at the right game, afterall this is the guy that didn’t know which team had drafted him. VIDEO
16. Quinton Coples: Lot of questions about the effort Coples would give in the NFL prior to the draft, but in his first game, “Q” flat got after it. He finished with 5 solo tackles, a sack and a forced fumble. Jets are going to be happy with this pick and that’s saying something. Now the Jets offense, that’s another story..
17. Dre Kirkpatrick: Has missed camp with a fracture in his leg so he didn’t play. He is expected to miss 2-4 weeks.
18. Melvin Ingram: Ingram had 2 solo tackles in the game against the Packers and hurried Aaron Rogers resulting in an interception. Going to be a good one.
19. Shea McClellin: Shea had 3 solo tackles and a sack in his first game. Nice start and the Bears defense may be even better this year.
20. Kendall Wright: Nice game for Wright making 3 catches for 47 yards including an 18 yarder. Should bring excitement to the Titans passing game.
- Four of the top 10 picks did not play.
- Best Offensive performances: Luck, Tannehill, and Wright provided the best offensive performances in the first week.
- Best Defensive performances: Coples, McClellin, and Kuechly turned in the best defensive performances.